Nature

Botanical Garden

Botanical Garden of Immanuel Kant Baltic Federal University is situated on the territory of the former Koenigsberg urban horticulture founded by Professor, Head of the Higher Plant and Systematics Department of Koenigsberg University Paul Keber.

Address

Калининград

Lesnaya street 12

Contacts

+7 (4012) 21 44 24

Botanical Garden
Botanical Garden of Immanuel Kant Baltic Federal University is situated on the territory of the former Koenigsberg urban horticulture founded by Professor, Head of the Higher Plant and Systematics Department of Koenigsberg University Paul Keber. The horticulture was founded in 1904 in one of the most beautiful areas of the city – Maraunengof – as a base for practical training of students.
The horticulture supplied the city schools with materials for botany lessons. It played an important role in promotion of plants; here visitors could see not only the famous dendrological collection of the horticulture, but also its green, technical, medical and flower crops collections. On the territory of the horticulture there were greenhouses and a greenery complex.
After the Second World War, Botanical Garden was managed by different organizations. In 1967 it was handled over to Kaliningrad State University. Currently, it is a scientific unit of the department of botany and plant ecology of Immanuel Kant Baltic Federal University, and also a training base for students of the departments of bio-ecology and geo-ecology, and pedagogical departments of the university and other educational institutions of the city.
Currently Botanical Garden covers an area of 13.57 hectares. Today, on the territory of the Garden there are greeneries, greenhouses, a pond, a nursery for woody plants, collections of herbaceous and woody plants and utility buildings. Collection fund Botanical Garden counts for more than 2500 taxons of plants (herbaceous and woody, open field and greenhouse).