Obelisk of Barclay de Tolly
village Nagornoe (8 km from Chernyakhovsk)
The author of the monument project is an outstanding German architect and artist KF Shinkel. The 4 m high obelisk is 4 m high cast from cast iron and mounted on a stepped pedestal. The twelve laurel wreaths at the top (three on each side) symbolize the twelve victories won by the commander. Under the wreaths are texts in Russian and German with a brief description of his activities: “To a worthy commander who made his path of glory with courage and bravery in many battles and marked by victories, he led the Allied forces in the war that liberated the nations in 1813, 1814, 1815, and this monument is King Frederick William III ”; “Prince Mikhail Bogdanovich Barclay de Tolly. Russian Empire Field Marshal, Commander-in-Chief of the 1st Army, Member of the State Council and Holder of the Orders of the Russian Empire: St. Apostle Andrew the First-Called, St. Alexander Nevsky, St. Great Martyr and Victorious St. George of the 1st Class, St. Apostle Prince Vladimir of the 1st Degree , St. Anne's l-ro class and decorated with a sword, diamonds and decorated laurels, Prussian kings of the Black and Red Eagle, Austrian Empress Maria Theresa Commander, King of the French St. Louis Grand Cross and Legion of Honor 1st Class, Swedish Denom Sword of the 1st degree, the Kingdom of Great Britain with the Order of the Bath of the 1st degree, the Netherlands Military Order of the 1st degree and the Kingdom of Saxony with the Order of St. Heinrich. Born in 1760. Died on May 25, 1818. " Below are sculptures of eagles, spreading their wings, below them are bas-reliefs with images of helmets, cuirass, drums, pipes and weapons, below, on the steps of the pedestal, laurel garlands. From the road to the monument leads a shady alley of twenty-four linden trees, brought from Scotland, where from the XI century. Representatives of the Barklaev clan lived.
It is known that the owner of the estate at first refused to provide for the amount proposed by the king a place under the monument and the insurgents wanted to install it on the main square of the city. During the First World War, in 1914, the Russian command planned to hold a festival at the obelisk, but refused this idea because of a change in the front situation. Since 1960, according to the Resolution of the Council of Ministers of the RSFSR "On the State Registration of Architectural and Historical Monuments in the Territory of the USSR", the monument has the status of federal significance. At the obelisk are constantly tourists, wedding processions come here to lay flowers. However, in July 2011, vandals attacked him: they knocked out a panel with a bas-relief under the figure of an eagle on the left side and managed to remove part of the fence, which was surrounded by a monument in the late 1960s or early 1970s.