The monument is set in the city center on Lenin Sq. It was opened on March 31, 2007 on the anniversary of the field-marshal's baton award to an outstanding Russian commander – ‘conqueror of Paris’. This is the first equestrian monument of M. B. Barclay de Tolly. The authors of the monument are the sculptor V. A. Surovtsev and the architect V. V. Pasenko. The commander is depicted at the time of reconnaissance before the battle, in his left hand – a map of Paris. The height of the sculpture is 4.2 m. The total height of the monument is 7.2 m. Work on the monument lasted for a year and three months. A bronze equestrian statue of 1.25 full-size and weighing 3.5 tons was cast at JSC SARS-KATYN (Smolensk Region).
There is a bronze plate with the image of the coat of arms of the Russian Empire (version 1825) and the inscription on the facade of the pedestal: ‘The outstanding commander of Russia, Field -Marshal Prince M. B. Barclay de Tolly 1757-1818’.
There is Barclay-Veimarn coat of arms on an inclined plane below. There are also reinforced bronze plates with texts of a biographical nature on the right and left sides of the pedestal.
The words of A. S. Pushkin from his poem ‘The Commander’, dedicated to M. B. Barclay de Tolly, are engraved on the back of the pedestal granite.
Commemorative medals were created by the sculptor by the sculptor’s opening day.