Sights

ASTRONOMICAL BASTION

ASTRONOMICAL BASTION

Address

Калининград

Gornaya street, 3a

ASTRONOMICAL BASTION
<div class="article"> <div align="justify"><span style="font-family: Arial; font-size: small;">The name of the building originated from the observatory built in 1813 by Friedrich Bessel which was located opposite the bastion. Astronomical Bastion was built in 1855-1860 by unknown military engineer during the construction of the second rampart of Koenigsberg. In 1910, during the construction of local railway line, the front part of the bastion was demolished. Only its caponier reduit and semi-circular reduit for flank shooting of the moat. During the Third Reich times the bastion reduit belonged to Gestapo. After the war, it served as an office of a recruiting station. Until recently, Special Purpose Detachment of the Directorate of Internal Affairs of Kaliningrad region stationed on the territory of the bastion. Near the reduit of Astronomical bastion a monument to 1200 guardsmen is situated.</span></div> </div> <div class=" jcarousel-skin-tango"></div>