Königsberg Stock Exchange
Lenin Avenue, 83
The facade of the building is decorated with sculptural works of another famous German author - the sculptor Emil Hundrieser (1846 - 1911). He created a sculptural pair of lions-shield bearers on the main staircase and symbolic sculptural groups of four continents - Europe, Asia, America and Africa for adornment of the Stock Exchange building.
The Stock Exchange was functionally divided into 2 parts inside - the northern one, with the colonnaded gallery, previously there was a roof of glass, and the southern - a large hall intended for holding exchange trades, as well as ceremonies, concerts, art exhibitions. It is known that in July 1917 there was a jubilee exhibition of K. Kollwitz, confided to her 50th birthday. The works of L. Corinth, E. Degas, C. Monet, G. Courbet and other artists were also exhibited there in different years. In the basement there was a post office, telegraph and the restaurant «Börzenkeller», one of the walls of which was decorated with a fresco with a view of the Upper Fish Market in the port of Königsberg created by W. Eisenblätter, who was a famous Königsberg artist and the master of the city landscape.
In August 1944, during the aerial bombardment of the city, the Königsberg Stock Exchange was damaged - all the wooden structures of the building were burnt out. In the late 1950s, they created a project for the location of the Museum of Regional Studies. The museum was supposed to open more than 30 exhibition areas, a library, reading and lecture rooms and much more. The project was never implemented.
In 1960 it was agreed to assign the building the status of a monument of architecture of national importance. At the same time, a building of the stock exchange became more than once scenery for films about the war that were shot in the territory of Kaliningrad, that had been still ruined. The Königsberg Stock Exchange was featured in such films as «Fate of a Man» (1959), «Peace to Him Who Enters» (1961), «Father of a Soldier» (1964), «Zhenya, Zhenechka and "Katyusha"» (1967).
In 1967 refurbishment of the Stock Exchange building started. The external appearance of the building was preserved, while the interiors were alternated. In 1973, after the reconstruction of the building, there was opened the Palace of Culture of Seamen. Until 2018 there was located the Regional Centre of Youth Culture.
In 2017 it was officially agreed that the Museum of Fine Arts will be moved into the building of the Stock Exchange. An architectural project was created, which highlights the potential for adaptation of halls for permanent and temporary exhibitions of the museum. The realization of the project is to be completed in 2020.