Yuzhnyi Park (40-letiia VLKSM)
Kaliningrad, Kalinina avenue
This park is located in the South Station area. The park was created by garden organizer E. Schneider in early 20th century on ramparts built in mid-19th century. The defensive ramparts, which had lost their significance, were supplied with valuable tree species, squares were made, and alleys of hornbeam, oak, chestnut, and maple appeared, creating the park’s regular style. The moat was transformed into five ponds, with two more subsequently added in the south (they are almost lost at present). The park was transferred to the city in 1957 and received a new name in honor of the 40th anniversary of the Komsomol (Young Leninist League). It was renamed to the South Park again in 2010. The park covers an area of about 100 hectares. The following trees grow here: linden, chestnut, elm, hornbeam, and willow. It is the site of fortifications of the Haberberg Front, such as bastions, ravelins, gates, and fortress walls. The Friedland Gates Museum is located nearby.