Fort "Dona" was named after the ancient German noble family of Don Tak; Abraham fon Dona is known as a known fortifier. With his participation, fortresses were designed and built in Pillau, Memel and the First Great Wall in Koeningsberg.
Fort "Dona" was named after the ancient German noble family of Don Tak; Abraham fon Dona is known as a known fortifier. With his participation, fortresses were designed and built in Pillau, Memel and the First Great Wall in Koeningsberg. Fort No. 9 could be named after Alexander Don, Minister and General-Field Marshal of Prussia.
Fort "Dona" was the first taken by the soldiers of the Red Army out of all 15 Koeningsberg forts. Already in January 29, 1945 it was in the zone of the offensive of the First Moscow-Minsk Rifle Division. The assault of the Fort was started by two battalions of the 169th Guards Rifle Regiment. After a powerful artillery preparation, the sappers blew up the sheer wall of the foss. A part of the wall collapsed, forming an almost a bulkhead closure across the foss. By the bridge, which was formed, the assault groups broke into the fort. A fierce battle started. A group of submachine-gunners, under the command of Lieutenant Leppo, mounted the fort's shaft and liquidated the Germans situated upstairs. Now only enemy mortars set in the inner courtyards of the fort were firing. After 6 hours of fighting, the most part of the fort was captured, but the enemies were still situated in the internal premises.
In the remaining two months before the assault on Koeningsberg, the fort "Dona" became a kind of training aid for the commanders of the units of the Red Army. A careful study of its volumetric-planning solution, armament, fire system, load-bearing and enclosing structures made it possible to take the remaining forts of Koeningsberg more competently and with less losses in the April days of 1945.
Now the fort is in an unsatisfactory state. Free admission.