Upper pond has an artificial origin. The pond was created in 1270, when the knights of the Teutonic Order from the nearby Königsberg Castle dammed the Pregolya River’s tributary with an earthen dam. The pond was used for fish farming. The Upper Pond is the second oldest man-made structure in Kaliningrad preserved to this day. Only the Lower Pond created in 1256 is older. The shores of the lake were decorated with sculptures and monuments. A group of four marine animal sculptures was installed on the west bank in 1913: a walrus, a sea elephant, a dogfish, and a sea lion by sculptor Hermann Thiele. Nowadays, the pond has been restored and is a favourite resting place for citizens and travelers.
Kaliningrad, Verhneozernaya street