Construction time: 1904 In 1932 the expansion of the original area after the construction of the adjacent nave on the South-Western side. In 1944-1945 the old chapel and the tower received minor damage. The adjacent buildings were completely destroyed, and at present it is completely removed.
Kaliningrad, Pobedy avenue, 41
35, Lavsker Alley/11-13, corner of Kastanienallee - 41, Prospekt Pobedy
Construction time: 1904
In 1932 the expansion of the original area after the construction of the adjacent nave on the South-Western side.
In 1944-1945 the old chapel and the tower received minor damage. The adjacent buildings were completely destroyed, and at present it is completely removed.
Architect of the chapel: Friedrich Haitmann
Architects of the adjacent buildings: Johannes Lauffer and Georg Schoenweiler
Khufen and Amalienau were regarded by developers an independent part of the city; and if the Evangelical community acquired in 1901 the Church of Queen Louise, as a worthy temple of God, the Catholic community received in 1904, at least, a chapel. The construction layout provided the appropriate place for this chapel: while the site of the church of Louise lies on the extension, which looks like a square, where the Khufenallee is divided into the Lavsker Alley and the Hammerweg, the Catholic site is located further along the Lavsker Alley in the place where the alley extends up to Sternplatz.
Description of construction:
The entrance is situated at the side, which is typical of most Heitmann churches; the foundation of the tower becomes a porch; the tower itself is located asymmetrically to the nave. From the point of view of urban construction, it occupies an excellent position: the roof was seen from a far. The divisions from the outside are made with the help of buttresses; they give the chapel a Gothic character.
After closer examination you notice, that Heitmann consciously played with the Gothic elements: each narrow Gothic window is surrounded by a window space, which ends with a very flat pointed arch (almost like a semicircular arch), and at the top it ends with a steep, lancet roof. On it, as a Gothic additive, a finial is installed.
With its high nave and slender tower, the chapel looks larger than it actually is. It has four normal spans, and the length, together with the apse, is only 13.80 m, with a width of 6.60 m. However, the total height of the vault of 10.40 m is amazing. This "Gothic" space correlation can better felt in the section.
The interior made an impression of a larger size with the help of a cunning idea: originally, the windows did not reach the current size below, at the bottom the walls were closed, it seemed that the light was falling from a great height.
The construction began, first of all, due to the sense of solidarity of the community. The major part of the cost of the construction and almost all the furnishings were donated. The architect Heitmann supervised the construction work without pay. He has a lot of personal ties with this church construction.
The usage of a damaged church was typical of the pragmatic approach to the process of restoration in the fifties. And in case the structure stood in the center of the city, then in all probability, it would have been demolished. But here, in the suburbs of the city, they were less concerned about the elimination of German buildings. The roof of the church was in perfect order, there could be no question of using it as a church. The building with a hall in this part of the city was not required (in the nearby Ratshoff, at this time the Church of Christ was under its transformation into the House of Culture). For this reason, two floors were added, so the two-storeyed office building was constructed. The tower was temporarily covered with a flat roof. The inner vault, which has survived until now, was hidden under the intermediate overlapping.
The transformation of this building back into a church (or into some premises, which required a vault) would be possible without great expenses.
The architect Friedrich Heitmann (1853-1921)
Before the First World War, Friedrich Heitmann was one of the most famous and successful architects in Koeningsberg.
As the young Head of Construction under the Higher Postal Directorate, he came to Koeningsberg in 1886; in the competition for "Palestro Albertine", he received the first prize (but he could not get a contract for execution). The construction of the Church in the memory of Queen Louise in 1899-1901 was his first significant work. In Koeningsberg he built the three above-mentioned churches, as well as the destroyed church of Luther (1910), in the province he built Catholic churches in Tapiau, Rastenburg, Pillau, Dietrichshwalde and Allenstein (Church of the Heart of Christ and the Church of St. Joseph).
In addition to the district buildings in Gerdauen and Braunsberg, the hospitals in Gerdowen and Morungen, apart from the numerous estates and residential buildings in the city and in the province, his significant contribution to Koeningsberg was the construction of the Amalienau settlement, which he developed with his friend, the Construction Adviser Kretchmann, to whom he rendered the financial assistance as a co-founder of the Koeningsberg Society of Real Estate and Construction. The major part of the still preserved villas and multifamily houses in Amalienau were designed by him.
At the same time, at an early time, he devoted himself to the care of monuments and assisted Adolf Böttiger in the engineering survey and drawings, when publishing the "Monuments of Art and Construction in the province of Eastern Prussia". He found recognition with the personal delivery to him of the Kaiser Wilhelm I of the Order of the Crown at the consecration of the Church of Queen Louise in 1901 and with the awarding of the title "Royal Construction Adviser" in 1914.
At the top of his creative activity, when he was 60 years old, the First World War broke out. In the rank of sergeant of the on-land forces, he took part in battles in Eastern Prussia and later in Poland in 1914. At that time, he fell seriously ill and was forced to return to Koeningsberg. His health deteriorated, he could no longer draw, he abandoned his office. In 1918 he had to sell his villa, which was constructed in Amalienau only a few years before. He found his refuge in the priest's house designed by him near the chapel of St. Adalbert. He died in 1921.
With the end of the First World War, there came not only a political coup, but also a revolution in the general understanding of architecture. Heitmann grew up in "historicism", he loved his romantic version with the abolition of symmetry, he also remade the general forms of "Jugendstil" without going, truly speaking, into its typical decor. This style of design, which became an object of progressive criticism even before the end of the First World War, also ended along with the end of the war. All architects felt their duty to be engaged in the "new". The epoch, which has just ended, was subject to the strong criticism on the emotional level.
Currently, the building is occupied by the administration of the Western Branch of the Research Institute of Terrestrial Magnetism of the Russian Academy of Sciences (IZMIRAN).