During the times of the Teutonic Order, there was constructed a dam (now it is Partizanskaya Street), which blocked the waterway of the small Chernuppe river.
Chernjahovsk, Partizanskaya Street
In 1885 on the high bank of Chernuppe a bronze monument was opened which was dedicated to those who perished in the wars during the union of Germany (“Kriegerdenkmal”). The monument had one more name - “Mother Germany” (evidently, because of the fact that it presented Germany as a woman who kept in her hand a sword ornamented with a bay leaf garland. (After the Second World War the monument was sent for smelting down). Against this place, near the stairs which led to the market, the monumet to the burgomaster Korn was erected.
In 1917 at Insterburg there was established the City Parks Utility Service, which was headed by Director H.Kaufman. The reconstruction of the city park began. The waterbed of the Chernuppe river was straightened out wherever it was possible. Concrete bridges were built over the river, which connected two parts of the city. It took much labour to clean and to remake the layout of the Zamkovy and Gavensky Ponds. The first one was made a little smaller and more round. The promenades with stairs and the playground for children were constructed on the banks. The second pond received a guitar-like shape. Both ponds were connected with the channel with a flood-gate, over which a new bridge was built on Koeningsbergstrasse (now the bridge on Kaliningrad Street). On the bank of the Gavensky Pond the Skating Sport Pavillion was built. In front of the “Kriegerdenkmal” Monument a beautiful terrace-like square was made. 1931 the City Parks Utility was headed by Walter Frich, the Chief Gardener of the city. The office of the Utility was situated on Kamsviker Veg (now the office of the Center of Povision of Urban Amenities on Gagarin Street). There was also arranged a greenhouse, where plants from all over the world were gathered, including orchids, palm trees etc.; a little zoo and aquariums were built. The large plantation of mul-berry trees, on which about 40 thousand silk cocoons were cultivated, was a main place of interest in the Utility of V.Frich. For this work V.Frich received a memorable medal made of amber at the Eastern Exibition.